Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson


Just finished watching VH1's Michael Jackson tribute and I can't front...I shed some tears. I always found the reaction people had to the death of Elvis or John Lennon borderline ridiculous. Crying over someone you didn't personally know always seemed to me more about getting attention for how sensitive or emphatic one was than any genuine emotion.

Like many times before...I was totally fucking wrong.

As a kid I had Michael Jackson EVERYTHING...record player, dolls, trading cards, albums, videos, etc. (even rocked the red jacket and one white glove jacked from my moms closet) but it was more than that... Michael was the first artist that I wasn't exposed to through my parents. I loved MJ so much because i really felt a sense of ownership. The whole experience from music to marketing to merchandise was tailor-made for my generation in a way that has never been matched. So fuck it...I cried. Just like all the people I made fun of for crying over Kurt Cobain or Shannon Hoon did. As corny as it sounds I almost physically felt a piece of my childhood die...and it's pretty damn depressing.

Anyway...Here's some dope mixes...I'll link to more as they inevitably pop up:

Smooth Criminal On Beat Breaks

The King Of What's Poppin'

The Soulful Years

The Man In The Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment