Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Shimmy Shimmy Ya...


I miss the Ol' Dirty Bastard all the time. Not like I ever knew (or even met) dude, but I miss him nonetheless. People wanna act like ODB was just a clown, a character... sure, but he was also seriously gifted as an emcee. He was as original as you can get...his name reflected the fact that "there ain't no father to his style". Rappers, overall have little to no sense of humor about themselves and ODB was one of the few cats to interject humor into hip-hop without being gimmicky or corny with it. Plus, him being so unpredictable was always entertaining...



Maybe the best ODB moment ever...at the 1998 Grammy Awards he rushes the stage, interrupting Shawn Colvin's acceptance of the "Song Of The Year" award and says: "Please calm down, the music and everything. It's nice that I went and bought me an outfit today that costed a lot of money today, you know what I mean? 'Cause I figured that Wu-Tang was gonna win. I don't know how you all see it, but when it comes to the children, Wu-Tang is for the children. We teach the children. You know what I mean? Puffy is good, but Wu-Tang is the best, Okay? I want you all to know that this is ODB, and I love you all. Peace!". Even more bizarre, earlier that same day he helped save a 4 year old girl from a car accident by organizing onlookers to help him lift the car she was pinned under. Supposedly, when asked his name by the girls mother he drew a Wu-Tang symbol on a napkin and rushed off like fucking Batman.

Ol' Dirty Documentary..."Dirty Minded"




It'll be 5 years in November since he passed away. RIP Russell Jones aka Ol'Dirty Bastard, Big Baby Jesus, Sweet Baby Jesus, Dirt McGirt, Dirt Dog, Osirus, Osiris the Father, Joe Bananas, Ol' Dirt Schultz, Hasaan, Ill Irving the Murderer, The BZA, The Drunken Master Styles, Ason Jones and Ason Unique.

1 comment: